Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Cookie Review

Sometimes a girl just doesn’t have time to get down and dirty in the kitchen. And no, I’m not talking about that. Honestly people!
I love baking, but when the weekends get busy in December and I’m going out, I still like to bring something with a homemade feel. I could easily buy a premade sweet, but if I can, I’d rather do some ‘baking’ from a prepared cookie mix.
Here are two prepared cookie mixes that I’ve reviewed for your holiday sweet tooth pleasure.
Pillsbury Gingerbread Cookies
Betty Crocker Sugar Cookies

Pillsbury_Cookies_Gingerbread_EN.ashx Betty-Crocker-Cookie-Mix-Sugar_0D9962D4
Preparation and Effort:
Super easy! Just follow the instructions on the package. My one observation is to use up the dough once it’s out of the fridge right away because once it’s handled a few times it becomes very soft very fast. And soft dough equals sticky dough. And sticky dough is HARD to get off the counter no matter how much flour you put down.
Appearance:
Very much like the homemade variety. Nice dark brown colour.
Taste:
Sweeter than I’m used to for gingerbread. I like that strong molasses taste. But it’s totally decent.
Cost:
$1.99 on sale
Overall Rating out of 5:
StarStarStarStar
Preparation and Effort:
Be sure to take some butter out of the fridge so it is soft or else you will have to wait a few hours to make these cookies. It will also take some muscle to mix, I ended up using my bare hands, it was just easier. But sticky.
Appearance:
Do not over bake. You want the edges to be a light brown colour for perfection.
Taste:
Considering they are called sugar cookies, they are not crazy sweet. Which is good. But I prefer the homemade variety.
Cost:
$1.99 on sale
Overall Rating out of 5:
StarStarStar

No comments: