Tuesday, May 10, 2011

First Couponing Experience

I’ve been wanting to use coupons for a while now, but for some reason never really sought any out. After watching TLC’s Extreme Couponing show (this is a video link), it really inspired me to begin saving money for our family.

1) I began by simply signing up in these websites and slowly, my pile of coupons started growing.

brandsaver.ca
save.ca
websaver.ca
gocoupons.ca

2) I made an alternate email address because I didn’t want extra junk email in my everyday inbox. These four websites require you to provide your mailing address as they mail the coupons to you.

3) I bought a bunch of plastic photograph sleeves for 50 cents at a thrift store to start storing and organizing my coupons. I sort them according to their expiry date.

IMG_0181IMG_0182

5) I started looking for sales in the flyers to match the coupons I had to maximize the savings!

6) I found this great Canadian blog about couponing and it highlights the latest/greatest sales:: Mrs. January

Thursday night when the flyers came out, I began to scour them to match up my coupons. I headed to Walmart where ziploc bags were on sale.

IMG_0119
This what I got for a grand total of $2.34 + tax for all of these items.
Here is the breakdown:
Glad deodorizer: Free with a “Get one Free” Coupon
Venus Razors: on sale for $8.00 – 3.00 coupon = $5.00
Clubhouse chilli spice: $4.58 – 1.00 coupon = 3. 58
Ziploc’s:  on sale for 1.48 each – coupon buy 2 save 4.00 = +1.04
I made a profit of $1.04 using this coupon. I printed 6 coupons so I made a profit of $6.24!

Is that not awesome or what!?
Do you have any couponing experience? I’d love to hear it!

3 comments:

Graceful Oven said...

I'm totally impressed! nice job~
I was behind an extreme couponer the other day, she filled 2 buggies at rcss for 40$...it took like 45minutes but wow!

Lindsey B. said...

It's funny you posted this - last week I was just looking into it. It's too bad couponing doesn't work quite the same way here as it does in the States. Regardless, impressive savings!

Last week, I spent $20 on Pepsi/Quaker products (drinks, oatmeal, granola bars, etc.) at RCSS (most on sale) and have a mail in rebate for a $30 PC gift card.

Here are a couple Canadian sites I stumbled on that will point you to a good deal:

www.bargainmoose.ca
www.groceryalerts.ca
www.extremecouponingcanada.net
www.groceryalerts.ca
and
www.lifemadedelicious.ca (General Mills Coupons)

Anonymous said...

That show and those people are amazing. First off...I am horrible at math, second I an very unorganized. I always have good intentions when I cut coupons I really do! But they usually end up expired in my purse. *sigh* Congrats on your dedication though!