Thursday, December 2, 2010

Nifty Nests {Jessica}

I’m starting a new feature on my blog today called Nifty Nests. The short and simple of it is to share a cozy, quaint and lovely home of someone I know. If anyone of my readers is interested in sharing their home, please email me to let me know.

So I’m starting this off with one of my best friends, Jessica from The Graceful Oven. (Please check out her delicious cooking blog)  Her adorable family recently moved into her Grandma's old house. Here's what she had to say about her charming, cozy home:

It feels so natural for me to live in this house. I grew up here, in a sense, coming over for Christmas and birthdays and Sunday roasts, running through the yard, watching my Grandparent’s garden and shovel snow.

Living room couch

My Grandfather bought it right after WWII for my his little family of three to live in. Eventually, three grew to eight and the little house kept giving.


Living room cornerLiving room entry













 








Our home is full of old sturdy things with a story, practical things that work in my small space, homemade decorations and fun things my kids can play with and not have to worry about breaking.


clara's room 2clara's room


I can count on one hand the things I have in my house that are new. In fact, my daughter, Clara, was baffled by the concept of The Brick and Leons and the like. She was quite sure everyone bought furniture at the Sally Anne or found it on the side of the road.

bedroombedroom2

My furniture, art, dishes and accessories are almost all thrifted, found, inherited from a great aunt or handmade. Though this started from necessity, it soon became what I felt most at home with.

book nook

There are secret cubby holes built into walls,

cabinet after
kitchen cook book

a little fold away cookbook holder in the kitchen, chipped paint here and there revealing colours once covering these walls,

kitchen light

old linens and kitchen gadgets left behind are a reminder to me of my Grandparents, their love for each other and a contentment with simple things.

Wasn’t that just lovely? Thanks Jess for sharing your home with us! Love you! Don’t you just adore the pull out cook book holder? What about the retro paper in the kid’s bedroom? Or that cute mason jar light her hubby made?

Happy weekend!

No comments: