Tuesday, September 21, 2010

An Autumn Resolution

If you know me like my sister knows me, then you would be aware that I'm not the most organized person. I would say that my biggest struggles are with paper and clothing. Not having a place for everything often add to my madness. So on top of trying to get our place together, I've set my mind to also personally try and organize myself. Over the last few years I've loved the blog called Organizing Your Way. There are always plenty of useful and practical tips that are easy to do and relevant to the everyday person.


 My Autumn Resolutions:
1) Clear clothes away after taking them off. Either hang them up, throw them in the laundry or put away in a drawer.
2) Have a basket/tray dedicated to 'paper'. Bills, mail, flyers, school forms and deal with it at the end of the night before going to bed.  I also love the ideas posted here and want to implement some of them into our home. READ the link, trust me it's good and simple.
3) Do dishes before leaving the house or going to bed.
4) Have main surfaces cleared before bed. (Coffee table, kitchen counter and kitchen table)

The Inspired Room had a great post about organizing rooms with links at the bottom that I followed for about an hour and found some great tips!

I've come across some sites about a way of life called "Minimalist Living."  Here's one blog I started reading. {Becoming Minimalist} There is something that strikes a chord in me about living this way, about being happy with what you have, not accumulating things you don't need or use, clean spaces with clean lines, simplicity in the home by not being bogged down by the 'stuff' we have. I believe that God wants us to live in a way that allows us to focus mainly on Him, and this seems to be a good start. Sometimes I find that there are so many distractions because of our 'stuff', whether it's something physical in the home, or emotional in our heads and hearts. The 'stuff' of life can weigh us down, but I don't think that God ever intended for us to be weighed down by the things we gain because of his financial blessings in our lives.

No comments: